This article is all about green walnuts. Green walnuts are getting popular in many countries because of their unique taste and properties. But the question is can you eat the green walnuts? Both the green walnuts and their oil is toxic and inedible. You can’t eat the unripened or green walnut because it may prove poisonous for your health.
What are green walnuts?
Green walnuts are not ripped fruits. Their green color with small white spots indicates that they are not fully ripened while a ripened walnut has a brown shade. Green walnuts are bitter, hard, sticky, and juicy mostly. Their shell is unmatured and forms inside the husk. They are used as a flavor in drinks and traditional food such as nocino. Walnut has a unique taste that may change depending on the genre of the trees on which it grows.
Can you eat green walnuts?
Green walnuts are best to make different dishes. But, you can not eat the green walnuts until they turn into black or brown shade. The black or brown shade indicates that the fruit has been ripened.
You can use green walnuts to make the nocino which is a walnut liqueur. Walnut liqueur is famous in Italy. They use black walnuts to prepare the nocino.
How is Nocino prepared?
Follow these steps to prepare the nocino.
- Cut the green walnuts into 2 portions
- Put the green walnuts into the airtight glass jar
- Now put some sugar and white wine into the jar and shake it well to dissolve the sugar.
- For an extra taste, you can add cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, or whatever you want according to your taste.
- Now keep the jar in a warm place for at least 3-6 months.
- Enjoy the strong and sweet nocino after filtering it finely.
It can be used for soft drinks, ice cream, and baking. Use firm green walnuts for preparing the walnut liqueur and avoid using the moldy and soft green walnuts.
What are the benefits of green walnuts?
The benefits of green walnuts are numerous they are not only used to add flavor to your drinks and food although they have many other benefits such as:
- Green walnuts are nutritionally dense. They are the same as the mature walnut in nutrition benefits and facts.
|1-ounce walnut||Nutrition properties|
|sugar||Less than 1g|
- Green walnut has many other minerals and vitamins such as:
- Green walnuts are full of plant-based mage 3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Walnuts prove to be very helpful in many diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, weight control, reducing blood pressure, cancer, reducing inflammation, and many other diseases.
- Green walnuts contain tannins that make them different from the ripped walnut. Tannins give a sour taste to the walnuts that’s why green walnuts are mostly used for pickles, food, and drinks.
- Green walnuts are useful for making walnut ketchup, sauces, and beverages.
How to detect green walnuts?
Walnuts have the green color of their shell when they are not fully ripened. You must be familiar with the smell and look of the green walnuts to detect the green walnuts. Green walnuts are unripened fruits therefore they have a green shell. It has white tiny sports on the green shell. Green walnuts have a musty odor.
It has smaller size as compared to the ripened walnuts. The exterior shell of green walnuts is very challenging to break with fingernails.
Are green walnuts more beneficial than mature walnuts?
Green walnuts and mature walnuts have almost the same benefits. But, it is more simple to eat the mature walnuts in raw form as compared to the green walnuts. Green walnuts can be used for different purposes such as flavoring, pickle, and food so, in this sense, it has superiority over mature walnuts. Its bitter taste and tannins give a unique touch to your beverages that add more charm to your drinks. On the other hand, mature walnuts do not carry tannins in them.
|Green walnut||Mature walnut|
|A firm with white spots on it||Brown or dark brown|
|Contain Tannins||Without Tannins|
|Used for foods, drinks, and pickle||Can be used raw|
Are green walnuts poisonous for your health?
walnuts like the other types of ivy plants contain sumac and poison ivy that may cause many skin problems for you if you have an allergy problem. You may suffer from high fever and hives. However, green walnuts are not poisonous to your health.
Although they may cause mild tongue and abdominal problems in some people. But, if you take too many green walnuts at a time then they may prove unhealthy for you. However, you will not face any serious problems. So, if you don’t have any nut allergy problems then you are free to enjoy the green walnuts.
What is the best method to store green walnuts?
Many people like green walnuts because of their unique taste and properties but they are not aware of the best methods to store the green walnut. So, here are some tips to store the green walnut.
- Take a bag and put the green walnuts into the bag but it should not be air-tight. Otherwise, the air-tight bag will dry the fruit too early.
- Keep the bag in such a place where the light of the sun comes but keep it away from the direct sunlight because it will overheat the fruit that will take away the freshness of the fruit.
- They must be stored in a dry and cool area until you feel that they have turned their color from green to dark brown.
- You can also store the green walnuts in the fridge. Freezing is the best way to store the green walnuts because it will not only ripe them but also keep your fruit fresh and tasty for a long time.
How to pickle green walnuts?
As green walnuts are used for different flavors and drinks similarly you can also prepare a pickle of green walnuts but it is not an easy task. Here are some directions to prepare the green walnut pickle.
- Green walnuts
- White and apple cider vinegar
Take a pan and put 3rd part cup of white and apple cider vinegar and half cup sugar or you can change the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
Make 4-6 slices of each peeled green walnut.
Take a separate container and put the slices in that container with lemon juice. It will maintain their color. Otherwise, they will get dark in color.
Put the green walnuts into a plastic container, and add sugar and white apple cider vinegar mixture in it.
Now put the lid on the container tightly and keep it in the freezer for at least 6-8 weeks.
Your green walnuts pickle is ready. Always remove the excess vinegar before eating it.
To conclude it is said that green walnuts are unique in their taste and properties and are used for many purposes such as flavoring, drinking, and eating.